Ground Control £5m sustainability impact venture fund
A new £5m investment fund dedicated to sustainability and environmental initiatives has been launched by Ground Control, a supplier of award-winning landscaping and maintenance services.
Financed by 5% of Ground Control’s annual profits, the Evergreen Fund will specialise in providing seed and growth capital to early-stage companies and social enterprises that are focused on delivering measurable, beneficial and sustainable environmental impact.
“As a company, we’ve always felt strongly about the environment so the launch of the Evergreen Fund is a milestone moment for Ground Control,” said Ground Control co-founder Kim Morrish.
She continued: “Launching the fund is a natural extension of our belief that business can and should be a force for good when it comes to environmental responsibility, especially during such a critical period for conservation and climate change.
“What binds everyone involved in the Green Fund – our founders, co-investors and investees – is our belief in business as a force for good and our collective ability to affect positive change together.”
Co-founder, Simon Morrish, added: “From the very start, a passion for nature and commitment to sustainability has been central to what Ground Control does every day.
“Whether it’s moving to a fully-electric fleet of vehicles or leading major tree-planting schemes, we are dedicated to finding new and innovative ways to protect our environment. With the financial investment from Ground Control, we are now in a position to catalyse and amplify sustainability and carbon sequestration initiatives.”
Over the next five years, the fund will:
- Invest £5m in early-stage environmental ventures
- Become a perpetual investment facility with profits reinvested into new sustainable ventures
- Dedicate £100,000 annually to finance the planning of one million new native trees to create protected areas of biodiversity
- The Evergreen Fund will invest in entrepreneurs who have a clear vision of how to effect positive environmental change, combined with the experience, hard work and commitment to deliver
- Applicants must be able to clearly display their positive, measurable and sustainable contribution, have a proven/sustainable business and revenue model, and demonstrate a competitive marketplace advantage and an opportunity/vision to scale
- The fund will directly invest in Seed, Series A and higher but will avoid pre-seed or investments in fee-bearing funds
- Investments will range in size from £10,000 to £500,000
Ventures must contribute to at least one of these measures of ‘positive environmental change’:
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions - increasing natural resource efficiency
- Protecting the natural environment
- Protecting biodiversity
- Promoting environmental sustainability
Visit the Evergreen Fund website for more information.