PODCAST: Lizzy Hodcroft on finding yourself in business
In our third podcast, we speak to public speaker, entrepreneur and wellbeing consultant, Lizzy Hodcroft. A disruptive force in the UK start-up community, Lizzy has founded and raised investment for multiple businesses and is a firm believer in the power of entrepreneurship as self-discovery. After suffering from severe mental ill health and addiction since the age of 14, it was only when Lizzy entered the world of business that she really started to put some of those troubles behind her. People may remember her appearance on Dragons' Den in 2018 and her emotional TEDx talk in 2019 where she spoke candidly about the phenomenal journey towards self-compassion and self-acceptance that she’s been on.
Listen below to find out how starting a business helped Lizzy overcome some of her mental health issues and how by setting boundaries and finding a little more balance in life, you can do the same and run a better business in the process.
- Lizzy Hodcroft founded the Sweet Beet in 2017 and pitched the business on Dragons' Den in 2018 to the panel of investors
- In her TEDx talk ‘The Shame Scandal’, Lizzy weaves her own personal struggles growing up in Texas with the realities of trying to be successful in business in the 21st century: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZQj4ZICUg
- Lizzy also co-founded mental health and resilience training app, Discova Health, in 2018 and raised £300,000 from Innovate UK to develop an AI-powered application
- Lizzy’s advice to other entrepreneurs is to prioritise your mental health always, set clear boundaries and stick to them, and take opportunities when they come along
- You can find out more about Lizzy by visiting lizzyhodcroft.com or following her at @WeirdlyRelatabl
The Go Further Investment Index is an opportunity to engage, showcase and celebrate progressive businesses who are pushing through and achieving their aspirations through access to investment, impactful collaborations, and the foresight to inform and respond to the changing world around them.
It is open to Northern Powerhouse and Scotland-based businesses of all sizes and from all sectors, but we are particularly interested in businesses operating within bio-science, health tech, clean energy, decarbonisation, circular economy, data and digitisation, space and satellite, tech, AI and advanced manufacturing.
For more info visit www.gofurtherindex.co.uk.